It is not often that one sees a tree “oozing” sap, but it does happen and for many different reasons. To diagnose the specific reason a tree may be excreting sap, a certified arborist should be called in to assess the tree in question.
The following are potential causes for a tree to release sap:
- Insect invasion: The most common suspect in such cases are borers. Insects will bore into trees, creating an opening for bacteria to enter.
- Disease: When a tree is diseased it will begin to show signs by shedding leaves/bark, limbs will deteriorate, and/or sap will begin to “ooze.”
- Injury: An injured tree will secrete sap if the wound is deep.
- Specific species: There are specific species of trees that naturally excrete more sap than others such as maple trees.
- Tree Pruning: Pruning will sometimes cause a tree to lose sap.
Clearview Tree and Land has one of the most experienced and respected arborists in Long Island. Our arborist has been working for the residents of Nassau County for over 30 years. He has the experience to diagnose and treat trees that are diseased or overcome with insects.